A property listed in the National Register of Historic Places benefits from recognition of the property's historic, architectural or archaeological significance. Listed properties are also taken into account during various preservation and development projects.
Additional benefits include:
- National recognition of the value of the properties to the nation, state of Iowa and community
- A tool for local planning, heritage tourism and education
- Provides for review of any federally licensed, financed or assisted projects to determine its effect on historic properties
- Eligibility for federal and/or state income tax credit
- Provides consideration in the decision to issue a surface coal mining permit
- Provides qualification for federal assistance for historic preservation (such as planning and rehabilitation), when funds are available.
However, listing on the National Register of Historic Places:
- Does not ensure preservation or protection of a historic a property
- Does not restrict a property owner’s private property rights or require that properties be maintained, repaired or restored; however, significant modifications may result in removal from the register
- Does not affect the use or sale of private property
- Does not stop federally assisted government projects
- Does not guarantee that grant funds will be available for all properties
Private preservation efforts, spurred by a listing on the National Register of Historic Places, have resulted in a rise in the value of historic properties and in the creation of construction, business and employment opportunities. Documentation used for evaluating and registering historic properties is the basis for decisions about which properties merit tax incentives or state or federal assistance, in addition to how the properties should be treated to respect their historic character.
Many owners may wish to display a plaque commemorating the listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Many local and national trophy, plaque and monument companies produce these types of signs.